Official records show that 4th Durham (Gilesgate) Scout Group was founded on 18th November, 1926 and registered at County Headquarters on 28th December, 1926.
There are however two excerpts from the Durham Advertiser dated March 1916 and May 1916, which show that at that time there existed, in Gilesgate, two Scout Troops. One was called 4th Durham City Troop of Boy Scouts which met at The Barracks, Gilesgate (Vane Tempest Hall), which flourished under Scoutmaster J. Millbourne and the Assistant Scoutmaster was Thomas Blythe. The other troop was called St. Giles’ Church Troop and it was inaugurated in April 1916. The Scoutmaster was R.V. Bainton and the Assistant Scoutmaster was R.R. Curry.
Unfortunately County Records do not show whether 4th Durham City Troop of Boy Scouts became 4th Durham (Gilesgate) Scout Group but if this was so our Group may be older than we think. Even so, to have been officially in existence since 1926 is something to be very proud of.
Over the years the Group has grown and had a number of headquarters, currently we have Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers and meet in Gilesgate Primary School.
We provide a wide range of activities for the boys and girls and learning new skills and gaining badges is a big part of scout work.
Although the Group is not a Church Sponsored Group we have always had strong links with St. Giles’ Church, with many of our past Leaders, being members of the congregation. Our flags are dedicated and are on display in the Church.
The Group necker is green with a gold trim. On the Apex of the necker the group badge is fixed; yellow/gold back ground, green edge trim with 4th Durham Gilesgate written in green 1926 in black letters and cross of St. Cuthbert in black at the centre of the badge.